Keep Your Pets Safe During BBQ Season

Keep Your Pets Safe During BBQ Season

September 15, 2018

The end of summer is near, but don’t pack up your barbecue grill just yet—football season is almost here! That means more food on the grill and scrumptious aromas taking over the neighborhood. But in all the excitement of eating and watching the game, don’t forget the dangers that loom over your pets. We’re talking about certain barbecue foods and things that have the potential to harm cats and dogs. Onions, for instance, are toxic to varying degrees to dogs and cats. And because barbecue foods are fattier, pets that consume them are at a higher risk for pancreatitis.

Now, let’s find out from an animal hospital in Saint Francisville, LA which barbecue foods are particularly unsafe for pets.


Dogs love to chew on bones, right? When it comes to cooked bones from steak, chicken and other animals, bones of all sizes can be a checking hazard to pets. Or, if the bone splinters and is swallowed, your pet can suffer internal injuries, like a punctured intestinal tract, torn esophagus or broken teeth. While any bone can splinter, shattered bones from chicken wings pose the greatest danger. Never give dogs or cats bones. Discard them in a secured container.


You probably aren’t tossing guacamole on the grill, but you might have it out as a condiment or in a bowl for dipping chips during the football game. Avocado contains a compound called persin, and it’s toxic. This toxic compound is more dangerous to rabbits, birds and horses, but cats and dogs can experience stomach distress after eating avocado. Keep your guacamole in sight, but out of reach of pets!


Tossing burgers on the grill? Then you might have giant slices of raw onions waiting on a plate somewhere. Keep onions, garlic, shallots, scallions and other foods in the onion family out of pets’ reach, as they contain compounds that are extremely unsafe for animals. Consuming a lot can harm red blood cells in dogs.

Chocolate and alcohol

Chocolate made with real sugar, natural sweeteners or sugar-free sweeteners can be toxic to dogs. Eating chocolate can cause seizures, muscle tremors, heart arrhythmias, liver failure and even death. When it comes to alcohol, both dogs and cats are sensitive to all types of alcohol, though they are not always turned off by the smell or taste.

What to do at your barbecue

If you’re hosting a barbecue this football season, make sure your guests understand they are not to give your pets anything off the table, grill or plates. When grilling, keep raw foods in sealed containers, and place cooked foods in covered trays out of the reach of pets. Use a trash can with a lid and put it in an enclosed space, like under the kitchen sink or in a pantry.

If you suspect your pet has eaten something they were not supposed to, take them to the nearest animal hospital in Saint Francisville, LA. Not sure whether you should be worried? Call St. Francisville Animal Hospital and speak with one of our experts!

Dont’ Hesitate! Call Now!

Categorised in: ,