Your dog might seem content to lie on the couch watching TV with you, but trust us, that’s probably not the case. Most dogs crave being outside, running free and breathing in some fresh air. This post will cover a few of the best ways to spend time with your dog in the great outdoors:
- Walking: Start nice and easy by taking your dog for more frequent walks, not just when they need to do their business. If your dog is older, an extra walk each day might be enough in terms of outdoor activities!
- Hiking: If you love going on hikes through the woods, make that experience better by bringing your dog along with you. Just be sure to visit your vet for dog vaccinations in Saint Francisville, LA before you head out on the trail—you never know what kinds of diseases might be lurking in the woods.
- Camping: Why sleep inside when you can camp out under the stars? If your dog seems to enjoy being out in the woods, bring him along for your next camping trip. Again, just make sure he’s up to date with all of his shots.
- Fetch: Whether it’s a ball or a stick, your dog is sure to love running after it and snatching it up when you toss it. Go down to the nearest park if your yard isn’t quite big enough to play a good game of fetch.
- Swimming: Some dogs like swimming more than others, but you’ll never know if yours is a fan if you don’t introduce them to the water at an early age. A wet dog definitely isn’t the best smell in the world, but your pup will be super happy if you take him to a lake or pond to swim around.
Benefits of outdoor recreation
We wouldn’t highly recommend outdoor recreation if it didn’t offer a ton of advantages for both you and your dog. Here are just a few of the top reasons to get out and spend quality time with your furry friend:
- Happy dog: As we’ve mentioned before, dogs can develop serious emotional problems if their owners don’t spend enough time with them. One of the easiest ways to guarantee that they stay happy is to take them outside to play! Regardless of what you do with your dog, he’s sure to be as happy as can be in the great outdoors.
- Healthy dog: In addition to being mentally healthy, outdoor recreation will keep your dog physically fit. A sedentary life is no life for a dog—it leads to obesity and other health issues. Take your pup outside as often as possible to keep him fit.
- Tired dog: Last, but certainly not least, outdoor recreation will wear your dog out! You’ll be pleasantly surprised when your dog sleeps soundly through the night without waking up to bark at passing cars or anything else that he hears.
What are you waiting for? Go outside and start having some fun with Fido! Just remember to visit St. Francisville Animal Hospital for dog vaccinations in Saint Francisville, LA beforehand to ensure your dog is as healthy as can be for as long as possible.
Categorised in: Dog Health