The Thanksgiving holiday is near, and with all of the delicious entrees, side dishes and deserts that your friends and family will feast on, it is understandable that you might want to give your pet just a little taste. However, your pet’s digestive system is very different from yours, and feeding them the same food that you are eating could be harmful. A local veterinarian in Saint Francisville, LA is here to tell you about some things your pet should avoid over the holiday.
Beware of toxic foods
Even the smallest bite of food could be very dangerous for your pet. For example, the digestion of turkey or turkey skin can lead to pancreatitis, which is a life-threatening condition that can trigger vomiting, diarrhea and severe abdominal pain. The digestion of onions, garlic and grapes could also prove to be toxic for your pets, and it is best to avoid feeding them any of your dinner at all.
The bones in the turkey present even more danger for pets, as they could swallow them and potentially choke or have to deal with further digestive tract issues down the line. Because it is so important to ensure your pet doesn’t swallow any bones, make sure that any garbage is out of reach and is taken outside as soon as the trash can is full.
Most people are aware how dangerous chocolate can be for pets, but other desserts pose similar threats to their health as well. Many low-sugar or sugar-free desserts often use a common artificial sweetener called xylitol. This ingredient is very dangerous for pets, as it can cause their blood sugar to drop quickly and can even lead to liver damage.
Don’t overstimulate your pet
It is also important to keep in mind how your pet will react to your guests and all the additional excitement of the holiday festivities. If your pet has not been around large crowds before, or gets overly excited when meeting new people, it might be best to put them in a room or crate for the duration of the day. Make sure that your pet is comfortable and has access to food, fresh water and their favorite toy until after the party has ended.
As a loving pet owner, it is only natural for you to want your pet to be able to share in the joy of the holidays with you, and just because it isn’t safe for them to eat the same food as you and your guests doesn’t mean that they can’t still enjoy the day. Try preparing your pet their own special meal with pet food and other animal-safe treats, and get them a new toy that will keep them occupied throughout the day.
If you suspect that your pet has ingested something that was inadvertently dropped to the ground, make sure to contact the experts at St. Francisville Animal Hospital immediately. We are a trusted veterinarian in Saint Francisville, LA ready to provide emergency services for your pet in their time of need—call us as soon as you need us!
Categorised in: Uncategorized