With winter weather setting in, this is the time of year in which you really need to evaluate how you treat your pets and their current living conditions. This post will cover how winter weather affects your pets and what you can do to ensure proper pet health in Saint Francisville, LA:
- Prevent sickness: Just like with humans, cold temperatures can quickly lead to all sorts of different illnesses for your pet. Try to keep pets inside as much as possible, and be sure to bundle them up when they do need to go outside.
- Avoid frostbite: If you think pets need to be outside for extended periods to get frostbite, think again! All it takes is a couple of minutes standing on cold ground for paws to become frostbitten. Again, keep your pets inside as much as you can, and consider investing in some booties if they need to go for walks.
- Ensure comfort: Keeping your pets warm and inside throughout the winter ensures that your pet is as comfortable as possible. A comfortable pet is a happy and well-behaved animal, too!
The best way to keep your pets safe
Your pets don’t have to suffer any of the problems mentioned above. Ensure good pet health in Saint Francisville, LA this winter by following these simple steps:
- Keep them inside: As mentioned above, keeping your pets indoors is the best way to keep your pets happy and healthy throughout the season. If your pets do need to go outside to get some exercise, be sure to monitor them and open the door as soon as they’re ready to come in.
- Build a shelter: If keeping your pet inside isn’t an option for some reason, be sure that they have a shelter somewhere in your yard. Your pet’s shelter should be raised a few inches off the ground and have some sort of straw or cedar shavings to provide insulation. Be sure that the shelter is big enough for your pet to move comfortably, but small enough to help them maintain body heat.
- Bundle up: If you have a short-haired dog, it’s a good idea to invest in a little coat or sweater that they can wear for walks. Even if it’s not too cold outside, your dog will appreciate the extra warmth.
- Wipe down: Salt and other deicers on the ground can irritate paws and possibly cause sickness if your dog licks them. Avoid this by wiping your pet’s paws each time they come in from a walk.
- Board them: If you’re having a holiday party and can’t have your pets in the house, don’t just leave them outside! Instead, board them at our pet hospital. We charge affordable daily rates for all of your animals, and our facilities are guaranteed to be just as comfortable as your own home.
Whether you need to board your pet during a holiday vacation or if you need a qualified veterinarian for general pet health care in Saint Francisville, LA, be sure to come to St. Francisville Animal Hospital! We care for animals of all shapes, sizes and breeds.
Categorised in: Uncategorized