Pets and Candy Do Not Mix

Pets and Candy Do Not Mix

October 19, 2020

Halloween is almost here, and if you’re planning on indulging in some chocolaty seasonal treats, it’s important to keep them away from your furry friends. Otherwise, you could find yourself booking a trip to the animal hospital in St. Francisville, LA—not the kind of scare anyone enjoys during spooky season.

You can’t reason with your pets, so if they see Halloween candy out on your counters or tables, they might decide it’s a treat for them. Dogs are usually the most likely culprits, given their desire to eat just about everything in their paths—but cat households should keep the candy under wraps, too. Otherwise, your pets could suffer gastrointestinal distress or even GI blockage.

Keep these treats safely stuffed away

Here’s how to keep your pets safe during Halloween and the upcoming holiday season:

  • Chocolate: You probably already know that chocolate is toxic to pets, especially dogs. The compound called theobromine can cause irregular heartbeats, seizures, internal bleeding, tremors and death in dogs. Dark chocolate carries a higher risk, but all chocolate is a problem. Keep it far away from your dog’s reach.
  • Anything milk-based: Most pets don’t digest milk-based food very well, thanks to the lactose content. Keep caramels, ice cream and other dairy treats away from your pets (no matter how much it looks like your cat is plotting to smack the ice cream bowl out of your hands).
  • Raisins: If you have dogs, keep them away from raisins and grapes. They’ll eat them even if you don’t consider them a treat, and they can cause kidney failure.
  • Sugar-free treats: Sugar-free candy and mints contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Even the smallest amounts can result in liver failure, seizures and death. The chemical compound causes abnormally low blood sugar and abnormal insulin release.
  • Candy wrappers: This might not be a treat, but the sweet food smell on the wrappers might entice your pets to eat them anyway. In turn, this will cause gastrointestinal problems and perhaps even blockages, which can require emergency surgery to treat. It’s best to keep the trash where it belongs.

What to do if your pet gets into the human treats

It’s frightening when your pet eats something they shouldn’t. Some pet owners, fearing large veterinarian bills, put off taking their pet to the hospital. However, it’s crucial that you take your pet to an animal hospital in St. Francisville, LA right away if you believe they’ve eaten something inappropriate or unsafe. Depending on what they’ve eaten, the toxins involved can start affecting your pet immediately. To mitigate damage and make sure they have the best chance possible of surviving without complications, don’t hesitate to take them in. It’s the best way to keep your pet as healthy as possible when they get into something they shouldn’t.

If your pet has gotten into the Halloween treats, no matter how careful you were, let the team at St. Francisville Animal Hospital take care of them. We’ll do everything we can to keep your pet healthy.

Categorised in:

Location

St. Francisville Animal Hospital
6819 US-61
St Francisville, LA 70775

(225) 635-6681
map

Business Hours

Monday: 8 AM – 5 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM – 5 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM – 5 PM
Thursday: 8 AM – 5 PM
Friday: 8 AM – 5 PM
Saturday: 8 PM – 12 PM
Sunday: Closed
For after hour emergencies please call:
(225) 635-4803

Contact Us Today!





© 2020 St. Francisville Animal Hospital | Terms and Conditions