Throughout the pandemic, many people, including pet owners, took up new hobbies and interests to get through the downtime created by social distancing guidelines. From baking to crafting, painting to cleaning, people found creative and productive ways to spend their time at home.
Unfortunately, as pet owners began to explore new skills, there was a corresponding increase in pet poisonings due to new substances being introduced into the household. Read on to discover some of the most troublesome items on the pet poison list and to learn what to do if you think your dog has been poisoned.
Many people explored their love of baking during the pandemic, which is especially problematic for dog owners. Yeast and bread dough are highly toxic to dogs, and pet poisoning incidents related to these two substances rose over 200 percent during the time of quarantine. Remember that the coffee you enjoy with your baked goods is also poisonous to pets, so always keep grounds out of your pets’ reach.
Be careful when expressing your creativity during the pandemic. Paint is one of the most toxic materials a pet can get into, with poisoning instances related to paint ingestion or inhalation increasing over 96 percent during the pandemic.
While cleaning is a productive way to spend your time and feel better about yourself and your living environment, some of the most common cleaning products are poisonous to dogs. In fact, the Pet Poison Helpline saw a 120 percent increase in calls related to dogs ingesting cleaning products.
Since pets spend their time closer to the ground than you, they’re more vulnerable to exposure to the toxins in cleaning products. Cleaners with chlorine, ammonia and bleach can be harmful to dogs, even when they’re put away and closed, since the vapors are left behind in the air. Even hand sanitizer, a staple during the pandemic, is toxic to dogs.
Choose pet-safe alternatives that are made from non-toxic products like baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice and more to keep pets safe throughout the pandemic and beyond.
Some people turned to vices during the pandemic, whether to relieve boredom or anxiety. Unfortunately, both marijuana and cocktails are highly toxic to dogs. Veterinary toxicology experts saw a significant increase in the number of dogs poisoned by marijuana, wine and spirits. Keep these items away from dogs to promote their health and safety.
What to do if you think your dog has been poisoned
Understanding the common pet poisons around the house is important, and so is knowing what to do if you think your dog has been poisoned. The first thing you should do is call your vet or a Pet Poison Helpline. If your pet has been poisoned by fumes or gas, get her to fresh air immediately. If the poisoning is due to ingestion, induce vomiting only when instructed to do so by your vet.
Protect the health of your pet by keeping items on the pet poison list a safe distance away from them at all times. Should poisoning occur, contact your vet immediately. Learn more about keeping your pet safe, happy and healthy by contacting the experts at St. Francisville Animal Hospital today.
Categorised in: Pet Safety