It’s December once again, and the holiday season is in full swing. No matter what holiday you celebrate, this season is about spending time with your loved ones and prioritizing the things you value most. For us pet lovers, the generosity we feel may extend beyond our human family and community members, leaving us wondering how we can help animals during the holidays.
If you’re hoping to help our furry, winged or whiskered friends but don’t know where to start, look no further. We’ve got plenty of tips to help you make the most impactful use of your time and resources.
How can I help animals during the holidays?
In many parts of the country, this time of year means cooler temperatures, snow and ice. While we typically don’t see anything too extreme here in Louisiana, here are a few ideas on how you can help keep animals safe during the holidays:
- Build a shelter: If there are homeless animals in your neighborhood, consider building a small shelter to help them escape the cold. Something as simple as a plastic storage bin and some blankets can help keep stray animals safe.
- Provide food and water: Leave out food for stray cats or dogs, or consider buying feeders for hungry birds with limited food options in winter. Help animals stay hydrated by placing a pan of water in a sunny spot outside and refilling it as needed.
How can we help animals in shelters?
Using your time and resources to help animals in shelters can be incredibly rewarding, and there is always great need for community support. Here are a few ideas for ways you can help:
- Donate supplies: Animal shelters and rescue organizations are always in need of supplies to keep operations running. Consider donating food, treats or cleaning supplies like bleach, rubber gloves or paper towels. Used items, like towels, pet beds or toys, can also be donated after a thorough cleaning.
- Donate your time: If you want to help animals in shelters, perhaps the most rewarding way to do so is by donating your time. Many animal shelters and rescues rely on the help of volunteers to complete a variety of daily tasks. Donating your time allows you to have a hands-on impact—while spending time with adorable animals!
- Give a monetary donation: If you prefer to let your favorite shelter or rescue determine for themselves what supplies they most need, make a monetary donation. Giving money to a cause you believe in allows you to support work you feel is important, without having to select or deliver materials.
- Foster an animal: Feeling particularly generous this holiday season? Why not open your home to help animals in shelters! Many organizations count fostering an animal as one of the most beneficial things you can do to help. If you have the space and time to dedicate to the task, why not take an animal in until they find their forever family? Helping to prepare a pet for life in its future home can be incredibly rewarding.
There are many ways to help animals in need this holiday season, and we’re grateful you want to get involved. Contact us today to learn about opportunities at St. Francisville Animal Hospital!
Categorised in: Pet Safety